To compete in the Australian Athletics Championships and/or Australian Junior Championships, athletes must either place at the relevant State Championships, or equal or better the Athletics Australia entry standards.
The entry standards for the 2017 Australian Juniors and Open Championships are available on the right.
- The qualifying period for the Combined Events and 10,000m Walk began on October 1 2015. 10,000m Walk way qualify on track or road.
- The qualifying period for all other events began on January 1 2016
- Under 23 standards (for 2017 Championships) are for athletes to qualify in open events and only apply to athletes born in 1995, 1996 and 1997
- There must be three (3) or more entries at the time of close of entries for an event to be contested in its own right
- In Under 14/15/16 1,500m and in events of 3,000 metres or longer, if more entries are received than can be accommodated in one race, those athletes with the slower qualifying performances may be placed in a "B" division.
- The maximum wind reading for performances to be valid is 4m/s
All age groups are determined by an athletes at the 31 December in the year of competition.
In way of explanation, the following table demonstrates ages for competitions in 2017. These should be read in conjunction with the entry rules of the particular competition in particular reference to athletes competing in multiple age groups.
Athletes must turn 12 years of age in the year of competition
|Age group in 2016
||Years of Birth
||2004 or 2005
||2003 or later
||2002 or later
||2001 or later
||2000 or later
||1998 or 1999 or later
||1995, 1996 or 1997 only