The 2018 Commonwealth Games will be held on the Gold Coast (Qld) on 4-15 April 2018. The first major international championship to be held on home soil since Melbourne 2006, and held during the Australian domestic season, it provides an opportunity for some outstanding performances.
Following the confirmation of the competition schedule for the 2018 Australian athletics season, including the details of all Nomination Trials, Athletics Australia, with the approval of Commonwealth Games Australia (CGA) have published the Nomination Policy for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
The Nomination Portal is now open. You can access it here. Nominations should be received by 5pm AEDT Monday 4 December 2017.
We strongly encourage you to read the policy in full. Key elements of this document include:
Nomination and Selection
The process of selecting athletes to the 2018 Team is a two-phase process:
1. Athletics Australia will nominate eligible athletes to CGA via a sport-specific nomination criteria;
2. The CGA will select athletes from these nominations to be members of the 2018 Team.
Aims of the Athletics Australia Nomination Policy
Athletics Australia’s Gold Coast 2018 Nomination Policy will aim to facilitate the nomination of;
- Athletes that are realistic medal contenders at Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games, and
- Athletes that are realistic medal and top-8 contenders at future Olympic Games and IAAF World Championships, and
- Athletes that are realistic medal contenders at future Commonwealth Games, Paralympic Games and the World Para-Athletics Championships.
Athletics Australia will nominate up to the maximum team size within the final athlete quota allocation provided by CGA (noting that this number remains unknown at this stage).
Qualification Periods and Standards
The Qualification Period and Qualification Standards for Able-Bodied and Para-Athletics events are outlined in the policy.
Athletes can ensure their nomination ‘automatically’, or via ‘discretion’, with the process for both outcomes outlined in the policy.
There are ‘A’ and ‘B’ Standards. However, as a consequence of a maximum athlete quota (determined independently of Athletics Australia by Commonwealth Games Australia), it is important that athletes target the ‘A’ Standard to ensure their best chance for nomination.
These Nomination Principles can be amended at any time by Athletics Australia, with the approval of the CGA, if it is of the opinion that such an amendment is necessary as a result of:
- Changes to the CGF / CGA Participation Rules or Selection Criteria; or
- The discovery of a drafting error or oversight; or
- For any other reason determined to be in the best interests of Athletics Australia.
If you have any questions about the policy, please contact High Performance via email.