General Selection Criteria
1. The Selection Committees shall only have regard to athletic performances that are properly verified performances. It shall be part of the duty of the Athletics Australia Statistician, to keep the Selection Committees advised of current performances of athletes who may be under consideration for selection. To this end, it is most important that each Member Association keeps the Athletics Australia Statistician supplied with information relevant to performances of their respective athletes.
Such information shall include:
In furnishing material to the Selectors, the Statistician may furnish them with performances that took place overseas, if the same appear in journals recognised by the Association of Track & Field Statisticians, or information relevant to such performances are verified by the controlling body of the meeting.
Member Associations are asked to make every effort to ensure that wind gauges are available and in use at all meetings in which athletes in line for selection are likely to compete. If available, Member Associations are asked to use electronic photo or video timing for events where qualifying or other selection enhancing performances can be reasonably foreseen.
2. Except where a selection trial is held for selection and the particular selection criteria for the team states otherwise, no one performance or place in a particular event or competition, shall result in an athlete gaining automatic selection as a member of a team.
3. To be selected in any Australian team to major competitions, there is an overriding requirement for athletes to have participated in:
4. During the period between the announcement of the team and the date of departure, athletes must demonstrate that they are physically fit, be performing well and likely to compete at a level appropriate to the competition(s) for which they have been selected.
During the period between the announcement of the team and the date of departure, assessment shall be made from time to time as to the selected athletes' standard of fitness, their progress in training and their preparedness for the event in which they have been selected. Such assessment shall be directed and be under the control of the Athletics Australia Head Coach. If, as a result of such assessment, it is considered by the Manager, after consultation with the other Team Officials, that by reason of ill health, injury or some other matter, a selected athlete has not maintained his or her fitness or standard of performance so as to be able to represent Australia at a standard comparable to that exhibited so as to gain selection, the Manager shall immediately notify the Athletics Australia Head Coach, who shall have the power to withdraw that athlete from the team.
5. All athletes must be persons proved eligible and appropriate to represent Australia.
6. Where a designated trial is to be conducted immediately prior to the announcement of the team, all athletes wishing to be selected must compete in such trial in the event(s) for which they wish to be selected, unless they have specific exemption from the CEO in consultation with the appropriate Selection Committee. Exemption will usually only be given if the athlete is a permanent resident outside of Australia; for some proper medical reason or special compassionate reason. The CEO may require an athlete to undergo a medical examination by a medical officer nominated by him.
7. An athlete residing outside of Australia, who wishes to be selected in Australian teams, must provide to the Selection Committee, through the High Performance Manager, performances verified by the National Federation under whose jurisdiction such performances were made.
8. Where practicable, there shall be a trial for all road events. The date and place of the trial shall be announced by Athletics Australia as soon as practicable before the competition concerned and may be incorporated in an Australian championship or other recognised existing event.
9. Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, World Championships (including Junior & Indoor Championships)
In the year preceding each of the World Championships, Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games, there shall be, announced by the Selection Committees as soon as practicable, graded standards of performance by which the quality of an athlete's performance may be considered by a Selection Committee during the qualifying period set down by the appropriate body or the committee as the case may be. No wind aided performances shall be considered. Such standards shall be:
At the time of the announcement of such standards, Athletics Australia shall, if possible, announce the date on which the team will be selected for the competition concerned.
Particular regard shall be had by the Selectors to the attainment of such standards at the meetings listed in clause 3 held during the current season. When the announcement of the team is immediately preceded by a specially nominated trial meeting, performances thereat shall be regarded by the Selectors to be of paramount importance.
10. International Invitations
When an invitation is received by Athletics Australia for a specific number of athletes (who are not named) to compete overseas or for an athlete or athletes (who are not named) to compete in a particular event, Athletics Australia shall refer that invitation to the relevant Selection Committee. They shall submit to Athletics Australia, the names of athletes who he/she considers to be of sufficient standard to represent Australia at such meeting or in such event. Such athletes as named by the Selection Committee shall be ranked by them. Athletics Australia shall ascertain the availability of such athletes to compete overseas in accordance with the list and priority named by the Chairman.
11. Team Events
If, in the opinion of a Selection Committee, the overall standard of available athletes does not warrant a team being selected, any athletes who have achieved automatic selection in accordance with the published criteria, will be notified accordingly.
If, after the date of the selection of any team for a team event, withdrawals for any reason make a team uncompetitive or incomplete, and suitable available replacements cannot be found by the Selection Committee, the affected team may be withdrawn and the selected athletes notified accordingly.
If the organisers of the competition permit individuals to be entered, the Committee may nominate suitable qualified individuals.
12. Age Limits
An athlete shall not be selected to represent Australia unless he/she will have attained the age of fourteen (14) years by the opening day of the competition (if in Australia) or tour (if overseas).
An athlete shall not be selected to represent Australia in any event over a distance greater than a half marathon, unless he/she will have attained the age of eighteen (18) years on the day of competition.
13. Female athletes who achieve qualifying performances in mixed races must demonstrate that they can achieve similar performances in female only races.
14. Track Relay Teams
Teams may only be selected where the Selection Committee is of the opinion that at least five (5) available athletes are of the standard required. Five (5) athletes will in general be selected for each relay team.
Where the Selection Committee is of the opinion that a relay team will be competitive, a team may be selected. Where practicable, a training squad should be selected as far in advance as possible. Commitment to the squad will be an important factor in final selection.
15. Any athlete seeking or having achieved selection, must keep the High Performance Manager of Athletics Australia, informed at all times of their contact address and phone numbers and of any changes thereto, particularly whilst overseas for any reason. Failure to do so may result in the withdrawal of the athlete from this and subsequent teams.