Don't miss your chance to relive Fabrice Lapierre's unbelievable 8.78m wind-assisted jump and all the highlights of the Go for 2&5 88th Australian Athletics Championships and Commonwealth Games selection trials at 1:30pm this Sunday on Network Ten (AEST).
Soaring the massive distance on his sixth and final leap of the day, Lapierre was challenged throughout the event by former world youth long jump champion Chris Noffke, who with his silver medal leap of 8.33m also confirmed his spot on the Commonwealth Games team bound for New Delhi, India, in October.
Featuring all three blistering days of
athletics action, the highlights package will also include:
- Local favourite Ben Offereins (first – 45.17) stamping his authority in the men’s 400m ahead of fellow automatic Commonwealth Games qualifier John Steffensen (second – 45.72).
- Fellow WAIS athlete Jody Henry (first – 52.20s) narrowly beating Flame athletes Pirrenee Steinert (second – 52.78s) and Tamsyn Lewis (third – 53.78) for the women’s 400m Australian title.
- Victorian Aaron Rouge-Serret and ACTAS athlete Melissa Breen as they take victory in the blue-riband men’s and women’s 100m events.
- 15-year-old Elizabeth Parnov leaping 4.40m to take out the women’s pole vault and yet another national crown to Olympic, Commonwealth, world and world indoor champion Steve Hooker in the men’s event.
- A tactically brilliant men’s 1500m final in which Ryan Gregson (first – 3:44.99) took line honours ahead of Flame teammates Jeff Riseley (second – 3:45.15) and Jeremy Roff (third – 3:45.77).
- Paralympic champion Evan O’Hanlon as he takes home the men's 100m and 200m ambulant events.
The Go for 2&5 88th Australian Athletics Championships will be televised on Network Ten this Sunday, May 2 at 1:30pm (AEST).